Thursday, July 18, 2013

"Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me
For me, for me" 

                                                       -Mercury

The musical anthropologist 

                I feel inclined to give a little clarity as to my intentions with this blog. In addition to providing infotainment for my friendy friends and famajams, this blog is acting as somewhat of an 'experience vault' that I may revisit down the road to assist me in my research. What kind of research you ask?
Many of you may already know that the study of ethnomusicology tickles my fancy in many ways. I am fascinated with the way in which culture is expressed through music, and how one's understanding of  a culture's music can give great insight into many other facets of a given people's world view.

              India being the intensely complex culture that it is, there's SO much musical depth to explore. Let us begin on the surface with the pop culture scene. Before leaving the states I meant a very interesting young lady named Claire who spent several months in India quite recently. I had known that India's youth was strongly embracing western culture, and Claire clued me into some of the music that is really popular right now on the radio stations. So day three in India has yielded my first ethnomusicological excursion: KARAOKE NIGHT!

              As a musician, I was very pleased with the singing of the Hyderabadi people. These cat's got some pipes! I walked into the bar as Pearl Jam's Im still Alive was playing, and was convinced it was Eddie Vedder singing until I saw this young guy really rockin out and nailing that grungy vocal sound. The rest of the night just kept gettin' better as nostalgic jams from the 90's thrilled both international students as well as the locals. Literally every song that I heard was of western origin; absolutely no Bollywood or eastern pop of any sort was performed or played. Lady GaGa, The Cranberries, Linkin Park, Crazy Town, Micheal Jackson, Elvis?  Hyderabad knows how to party. 

I love this city, and I love all of you. Thanks for spreading the granola around; feel free to share this bear.

Peace,
Nathan King (Granola Bear)

No comments:

Post a Comment